Follow Me To: A Weekend in Birmingham


So this weekend was The Photography Show at the NEC (separate post to follow), so Adam and I went up to Birmingham for my yearly pilgrimage to camera heaven. Adam had never even set foot in the midlands, let alone Birmingham so was a bit in awe of everything!!! 


I've got a bit of a confession to make- the last time I was in Birmingham was before the new station concourse had opened last September, so this was my first time seeing it. Despite all the moaning I did while they were building, I can completely see why it took them so long and it was definitely worth the wait! 

Coming up the escalator from platform 8, the first thing I saw was the amazing light new concourse. Of course, it being our first time in the new concourse we had to explore- it'd be rude not to!!!



So we headed up the escalator to the new shopping concourse, and suddenly I saw signs to heaven: M.A.C
Their Birmingham shop is amazing, so much better laid out than the stalls within Debenhams, although it was very small and really busy so I gave up looking as there were too many people to avoid. I did however take time to appreciate the most beautiful eyeshadow rainbow ever. We then went on to drool at the Jo Malone shop as well as stopping by the gorgeous Neal's Yard store to try out the hand creams.


The thing I loved about the new Grand Central shopping centre was that it has a lot of shops that I normally only see in London. Tiger is a shop in Covent Garden that is basically an Aladdin's cave of everything weird, wonderful and owl related. It's literally like walking into a rainbow, so when I saw it in the Grand Central, I had to run in there!


They sell homewares- everything from smiling bowls to a duck shaped spray bottle. It's amazing and I always love going in there!


Leaving shopper's paradise, we walked over the new bridge between New Street/ Grand Central and the Bullring. I love that they've connected the two as it makes it so much easier to get to, but they didn't close the old route so you can still get out onto Victoria Street by the other shopping streets and take a quicker route if you don't want to walk round Grand Central.


It's at this point that Adam was completely gone. I knew he would love the view, and being such a shopping nerd I also knew he would love the Bullring. Once he'd finished taking photos of the view we went for lunch in EAT.



I had chicken salad which was amazing. I didn't think it would be that filling, but I had a serious salad craving so I got it anyway, then got a soup which I also thought wouldn't be very filling to make it more of a meal. HOWEVER, I went to food heaven somewhere between my salad and soup, and forgot to photograph it for you.

We were recommended this place by a man in the street. At first I thought it was a little pricey, but it looked good and I was hungry. It actually turns out it was really good value. For a salad and soup for me, and a pie and mash with two drinks it came to just under £20 and both meals were very filling and made fresh.

I love EAT.'s concept. They change the menu each day rather than having a massive menu which doesn't change. It's great if you live around the area so you don't get bored or stuck in the same pattern. If you live anywhere near an EAT. I would definitely recommend it.



After lunch we headed over to Meecha (it'd be rude not to!!). This was basically the whole reason I dragged Adam to the Bullring in the first place. Meecha is the best thing ever but the only shop in the country is in the Bullring. Since I'm only in Birmingham a few times a year I always have to make time to stop by. If you go, ask for a honeydew melon slush with cherry and mango bubbles. I promise you, it's the best thing you will have ever tasted. Believe me, it's worth the hour long train journey and I normally try to fit two trips to Meecha in one day (on my way and on my way back!).


Having finished my bubble slush, I wanted to go into Forever 21. Because I normally visit when I'm working in London, the Birmingham one is usually a bit of a let down by comparison but I always find something I love, and this time it was these sunglasses! I didn't buy them, but I did wear them round the shop then wished I had on the train home.


Then comes Adam's moment of happiness. He'd never been into a Selfridges before, so even though we were short on time I had to take him in there- I love the beauty counters but the ground floor food and gift hall is magical. 


Even better than normal, it was decorated for Easter with bunnies and eggs everywhere, and even the famous jelly bean bull was in the festive spirit. I lost Adam for the best part of an hour in here (somewhere over by the liquor on tap for a good majority of that!). And of course we couldn't leave Selfridges empty handed- so here we are. His n hers Nutella jars. I absolutely love this, although I really don't want to use it! Perhaps I'll finish the jar, wash it out and keep paper clips or hair bobbles in. I don't know but I want to keep my jar!


I hope you enjoyed following us around on our Midlands adventure today just as much as we enjoyed going. Where have you been recently? And if you've not been anywhere then where is on your list to visit? Tell me all about it in the comments section below.

Love and Feathers, 
The Owlet 💜 

 You can find me on Twitter, Instagram, Bloglovin, Facebook & Pinterest

3 comments:

  1. It looks like you had an amazing day. It was last September since I was there so I really want to go back for another look around!! Love the jelly bean bull too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this city. I visited it last year for a concert :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed Birmingham- I live here so it's lovely to hear someone else's perspective!

    Glad you are enjoying blogging, and well done so far :)

    Claire x
    www.thegreeneyedgirl.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Have your say; it's a hoot!